Friday, December 21, 2012
4 ways to get kids comfortable in church
He sees his old kindergarten teacher, kids he knows, paraprofessionals from school and his babysitters (our pastor's family)!
I grew up in the Catholic Church and while the services are beautiful and moving, they were also fairly rigid. As a child, I felt distant from the service and Priest and had a hard time connecting. I want Brady's experience to be different.
I think there are a lot of ways to help children even in a large church feel comfortable and at home there.
1) Introduce them right away to the Pastor, Pastor's spouse and children. They are the sort of Mother and Father of your church family and it gives the child a personal view of who is speaking.
In our case, Brady was baptized at age 4 in Florida and met with the pastor at length beforehand to help him feel less nervous. Since then he seems to see pastors as accessible people which I think is great. It helps that our current pastor's daughter is his babysitter!
2) Have them in service with you whenever possible. When I moved to Kansas, I wanted Brady to be in a separate children's church like he was in Florida. But I'm so glad now that he is in service with us. He picks up things from the sermons he hears and it has led to amazing conversations about life, the Bible, God and behavior. He learns from the service.
3) Participate in informal activities like potlucks, caroling, Bible school, youth group, volunteering, anything to connect more with your church family and get to know them and them know you.
4) Bring the spiritual feeling of church to your home. That can happen in many ways, whether saying Grace or praying at bedtime, praying for people in your community or when you see or hear an ambulance, playing Christian music, or talking about what it means to live as a Christian in your daily life. Have a Bible that is for your child alone, his or her own personal tangible connection to God and spirituality.
And being a former Catholic, I still have Rosaries, Crosses and statues of Mary and St. Christopher in my house. These tangible expressions of spirituality give us all comfort.
It's my hope that Brady will always see church as a welcoming, comforting, safe place where he can learn and grow and be better. I hope it will help him to continue down this path as he grows up and becomes his own man.
- ► 2017 (53)
- ► 2013 (521)
- Funny things Brady says...thank you cards
- We like to get out in all kinds of weather
- Not-Fried Fried potatoes & Day-After-Christmas cas...
- The drought hits home, tough times for the Midwest
- Being "different" isn't bad...
- Free & easy slide-show greeting cards with Smilebox
- After the Holidays, back to Spark People
- How you can get free magazines every month
- Wild game cooking: Wild turkey fingers
- Pull-apart bread & Mom's gravy
- Lessons from a child for goodbyes - take photos!
- The Eight Christmases of Brady
- Tortellini Soup & My Mom's Awesome Easy Biscuits
- Amazon trade-ins - get a gift card for your stuff!
- 4 ways to get kids comfortable in church
- Stock homemade frozen foods for kids
- Funny things Brady says...boss in Spanish
- The Flylady helps get you organized!
- The sweet heart of a child
- 8 reasons why I don't text
- Using Timers with kids
- Wild game cooking: Venison jerky in the oven
- Fish foil packets
- Do It Yourself: picked beets & pickled eggs
- Wisdom from my mom: Tell kids 1,000 + 1 times
- Easy chicken pot pie
- Brady's cool find yesterday in cold weather
- Easiest way to make pasta
- Pesto with olives & mushrooms
- Savings tip: $1 clothes at Walmart
- Getting out of the house - 26 free fun activities!
- Ebay can teach about math, money & sales
- "This was my idea. Was it a good one?"
- 8 anxiety busters and mood changers
- Buying on Ebay: find your favorite things cheaper!
- Saying yes to kids and their big ideas
- Cheap homemade pizza!
- Savings tips: cheap easy skin care tips
- Funny Things Brady Says... construction
- For night fears, Mommy Magic Spray
- 1-2-3 Magic discipline for kids
- Why Ebay can work for anyone
- Funny things Brady says ... date night minions
- Busy in a Small Town
- Savings tip: Walgreens perfumes
- ▼ December (45)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
My hunting hubby always comes home with new things to cook. Venison, wild hog, dove. This time it was prairie chicken. They're interesti...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
We try to teach our kids a lot of things. Sometimes it feels like there is too much. Eat healthy food. Brush your teeth. Be polite. Be pat...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...