On Sunday we were surrounded by wonderfully and horribly decadent Super Bowl food. Jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon, corn casserole, dips and chips of all kinds, cake, cookies. I filled up halfway with my alternative healthified food offerings, but filled the other half with the usual fare.
And here's what Brady ate: turkey slices, cheese, red pepper slices, peanut butter bread, M&Ms and teddy grahams. He was happy as could be, has zero interest in all of the other stuff. I don't blame him. Neither one of us knew if the dreaded egg was lurking in it. Almost certainly it was in 80 percent of what was there.
In an effort to see something positive in his lifelong egg allergy (if he had a deadly peanut allergy I'm sure I'd be hard-pressed to see it this way, though I'd probably try), I am glad that it has naturally steered him toward whole, healthy food.
The usual kid fare is not on his radar, he avoids it. He prefers whole meats, dairy, whole grain bread and pasta, veggies and fruits, and simple treats like rice krispie treats, plain chocolate bars, popsicles, teddy grahams.
Thank goodness that is a bright spot in our struggles to keep him egg-free.
- ► 2017 (53)
- Check your local grocery stores for sales!
- Weight loss tip: Fake banana split
- Free 1-year subscriptions to Inc Magazine
- 9 things I know about ADHD parents
- 39 weeks free of Wall Street Journal
- Money Saving Mom: Grace to kids, not shame
- Got my free $10 to Pizza Hut!
- Funny things Brady says... about a book...
- Parenting idea: Playing your child's game
- Recipes: Easy coffee cake, pork chops w/stuffing
- Teaching tool: The Invention Box
- Frugality: It's a lifestyle choice
- Muffin recipes: Cinnamon and apple butter
- Day 6 without school...winter storms Q and Rocky
- Money Saving Mom: 5 tips to waste less food
- Teaching tool: Modeling generosity
- Recreating a childhood memory: Snow Cream!
- No-Screen Sat: snow, errands, grandma
- Snow photos, deer tracks and Blizzard No. 2!!!!
- Around town on our Snow Day...
- Teaching health tip: Light-up toothbrushes
- Homework helper: letter tiles for spelling
- Funny things Brady says ... about Presidents...
- Funny things Brady says... in Dollar General...
- Day 19 getting off Paxil: More dreams and energy
- Coffee: My last vice
- Teaching tool: The Berenstain Bear books
- Autism: It's more than it seems....
- Near record-breaking snow in KS
- Day 16 getting off Paxil: A little dizzy
- KS Emergency State: What our blizzard looks like.
- Anxiety buster: eat enough, drink enough, sleep en...
- Structure for kids: Brady's shoe chart
- Like Christmas in my mailbox this week
- Funny things Brady says... about names...
- Funny things Brady says... in principal's office.....
- Blessings in Disguise...
- The latest Whatever-You-Have Soup
- Funny things Brady says... about hummus (and humus...
- Try Something New Day: potato soup, vienna sausage...
- Brady got his snow day... blizzard is here...
- You know you're in KS when... snow predictions...
- This week's deals at Dillons
- Parenting idea: "Talking" stories at bedtime...
- Sweet things Brady does ... new best friend
- Day 15 getting off Paxil: 10 mg to 5 mg
- Anxiety buster: Cut down on caffeine
- Weight loss tool: Prayer
- No-tech Sat.: Inventions, Sheriff Brady, grandma, ...
- Leaving your comfort zone can be fun!
- Kansas road pictorial: Our big blue sky
- Recipe: Quick veggie bake
- You know you're in the Midwest ... tumbleweeds
- Things that make me sigh... my boys...
- How I got free Pepsi following Money Saving Mom
- Weight loss tip.. single-bowl low-cal soup...
- Turn Valentine's Day around...
- Also got my free $5 to Amazon.com!
- I got my free $10 to Pizza Hut!!!!
- Valentines = caution for allergy kids!
- No-tech Sat: tp roll bowling, guacamole & more...
- Teaching tool: The Nature Box
- Lent for the Non-Catholic Catholic
- Updates to Prize Store make it new again.
- Try something new Thursday: prunes!
- Cool church sign I saw today...
- This is the 205th post!
- Day 7 getting off Paxil: No more dizziness!
- Wisdom from my Mom ... letting kids love...
- Sweet things Brady does... prayer in church...
- Day 6 Getting Off Paxil: A deeper laugh
- Funny things Brady says... about no-tech day
- Day 5 getting off Paxil: 3 realizations
- Getting off of Paxil is not fun, but worth it.
- 3 reasons I love tea - health, weight, happy
- I almost gave him egg! YIKES!
- Upside of food allergy: a healthier eater
- Encouraging a talent & house project update!
- Wisdom from my Mom: Pray for our foes
- Savings tip: Groceries at my fave store, Dollar Tr...
- 6 reasons we should all walk more!
- Parenting through your flaws....
- Tortilla, turkey, cheese and pickle pinwheels
- Healthy Super Bowl food options
- Venison (deer) stir-fry
- No Screens Saturday: We had so much fun!
- Goodwill find: Two pairs of boots
- Try Something New Thursday: Whole wheat tortillas
- 7 ways to save on kids clothes
- ▼ February (89)
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic very near to my heart: postpartum depression. According to the agency I volunteer with, Postpart...
Apparently Brady has learned about "humus" - broken down organic matter which makes wonderful soil - as opposed to "hummu...
This post is a part of the Fantabulous Valentine's Day Favorites blog chain put together by a great group of bloggers. The theme ...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
Do you like my little depiction of a "worry bully" over there? I think that's kind of what they look like sitting on some...
Saw this article today and they had some good ideas. I forgot peaches in my 100 low-cal snacks! Here's the link: Spark People 100 cal tr...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...