I think perhaps being an ex-Catholic is like being an ex-Marine. It's not possible. If Catholicism has been a part of your life, especially your early life, I think it gets down in your soul and informs the person you become even if you choose a different church later as I have (I'm a sort of Methodist-Congregational type now, LOL).
I told someone this morning that when Brady was getting very anxious about tornadoes coming last year, the only thing I could think to do was say, "Here, hold a Rosary!" And what do you know, it worked and really had a calming effect. He sleeps with one by his bed too.
I have practiced Lent ever since I can remember. I've at times given up everything from alcohol to sweets to popcorn to fried foods. I love Lent and the idea of sacrificing, forgoing our sense of instant gratification, working on becoming a better person, focusing more on our God.
But a couple years ago, after I'd joined the Methodist church but committed to continuing the Lent tradition, I decided not to give up in the traditional way. I decided to "give up" blocks of time devoted to reading the Bible. I made it through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John during that time and it was really a wonderful, eye opening experience.
In that same fashion, this year I am going to finally read the book a friend loaned to me months and months ago. Here it is. I am excited about what reading this book might teach me. To all my fellow current and former Catholics: Happy Lent!
- Check your local grocery stores for sales!
- Weight loss tip: Fake banana split
- Free 1-year subscriptions to Inc Magazine
- 9 things I know about ADHD parents
- This week's Aldi and Dillons deals...
- 39 weeks free of Wall Street Journal
- Money Saving Mom: Grace to kids, not shame
- Got my free $10 to Pizza Hut!
- Funny things Brady says... about a book...
- Parenting idea: Playing your child's game
- Recipes: Easy coffee cake, pork chops w/stuffing
- Teaching tool: The Invention Box
- Frugality: It's a lifestyle choice
- Muffin recipes: Cinnamon and apple butter
- Day 6 without school...winter storms Q and Rocky
- Posts here now grouped by subject...
- Money Saving Mom: 5 tips to waste less food
- Teaching tool: Modeling generosity
- Recreating a childhood memory: Snow Cream!
- No-Screen Sat: snow, errands, grandma
- Aldi deals for the week, through Tues. Feb. 26
- Snow photos, deer tracks and Blizzard No. 2!!!!
- Around town on our Snow Day...
- Teaching health tip: Light-up toothbrushes
- Homework helper: letter tiles for spelling
- Funny things Brady says ... about Presidents...
- Funny things Brady says... in Dollar General...
- Day 19 getting off Paxil: More dreams and energy
- Spam: Why I'll change the comment process
- Coffee: My last vice
- Teaching tool: The Berenstain Bear books
- Autism: It's more than it seems....
- Near record-breaking snow in KS
- Day 16 getting off Paxil: A little dizzy
- KS Emergency State: What our blizzard looks like.
- Anxiety buster: eat enough, drink enough, sleep en...
- Structure for kids: Brady's shoe chart
- Like Christmas in my mailbox this week
- Funny things Brady says... about names...
- Funny things Brady says... in principal's office.....
- Blessings in Disguise...
- The latest Whatever-You-Have Soup
- Funny things Brady says... about hummus (and humus...
- Try Something New Day: potato soup, vienna sausage...
- Brady got his snow day... blizzard is here...
- You know you're in KS when... snow predictions...
- This week's deals at Dillons
- Parenting idea: "Talking" stories at bedtime...
- Sweet things Brady does ... new best friend
- Day 15 getting off Paxil: 10 mg to 5 mg
- Anxiety buster: Cut down on caffeine
- Weight loss tool: Prayer
- No-tech Sat.: Inventions, Sheriff Brady, grandma, ...
- Leaving your comfort zone can be fun!
- Kansas road pictorial: Our big blue sky
- This week's Aldi deals - good through Tuesday
- Recipe: Quick veggie bake
- You know you're in the Midwest when you see...
- Things that make you sigh... my boys...
- I love my church!
- Savings tip: Use a binder clip on toothpaste
- How I got free Pepsi following Money Saving Mom
- Weight loss tip.. single-bowl low-cal soup...
- Stock up on winter items at Walmart!
- Stock up on seafood this week!
- Walmart has salmon for $3.50 a lb
- Dillons weekly deals...
- Turn Valentine's Day around...
- Also got my free $5 to Amazon.com!
- I got my free $10 to Pizza Hut!!!!
- Valentines = caution for allergy kids!!!!!
- Proctor & Gamble $17 coupon booklet
- No-tech Sat: tp roll bowling, guacamole & more...
- Teaching tool: The Nature Box
- Lent for the Non-Catholic Catholic
- Updates to Prize Store make it new again.
- Try something new Thursday: prunes!
- Cool church sign I saw today...
- This is the 205th post!
- Day 7 getting off Paxil: No more dizziness!
- Wisdom from my Mom ... letting kids love...
- An ADHD kid's gift: they make us better people
- Sweet things Brady does... prayer in church...
- Day 6 Getting Off Paxil: A deeper laugh
- Funny things Brady says... about no-tech day
- What helping PPD moms means to me...
- Day 5 getting off Paxil: 3 realizations
- Getting off of Paxil is not fun, but worth it.
- 3 reasons I love tea - health, weight, happy
- I almost gave him egg! YIKES!
- Aldi & Dillons deals today through Tue., Feb. 12
- Upside of food allergy: a healthier eater
- Encouraging a talent & house project update!
- Wisdom from my Mom: Pray for our foes
- Savings tip: Groceries at my fave store, Dollar Tr...
- 6 reasons we should all walk more!
- Parenting through your flaws....
- Tortilla, turkey, cheese and pickle pinwheels
- Rethinking party food... healthy Super Bowl option...
- Last night's supper: Venison stir-fry
- Things that make you sigh.... the scale...
- No Screens Saturday: We had so much fun!
- Goodwill find: Two pairs of boots
- Try Something New Thursday: Whole wheat tortillas
- 7 ways to save on kids clothes
- ▼ February (105)
According to this article, Wichita has received the 2nd largest snowfall on record, reaching so far 14.2 inches, with the highest being 15 ...
There's a good guest post at the Money Saving Mom blog today . Here's an excerpt: "Because of increasing gasoline prices we n...
My repertoire of Facebook friends - and I only have about 100, mostly people I'm close to and really want to know what is going on with ...
Today I want to start talking about a topic that is very near to my heart: postpartum depression and anxiety. According to the agency I volu...
Back in January, I posted this deal from Proctor & Gamble (I don't know if they have the same ones available or others now, but...
So a recent discovery, given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, is Walgreens' knock-off perfumes. They have all kinds, like fake Opium...
I cannot believe that this blog started three months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to say. Well, LOL, I n...
When I picked up Brady from after-school care yesterday, we were puzzled about where his jacket had gone. We checked all inside the building...
My Mom has a theory. She thinks perhaps she and I (and my oldest brother) are God's entertainment. Take for example that she has a big n...
It occurred to me today that kids diagnosed with ADHD need an active team consisting of 4 parts. Part 1) Parents and family. All learning...